If in doubt – Stop and Shout! Connect downpipes as soon as possible to reduce the amount of stormwater on your site.
- Keep as much vegetation on site as possible.
- This will reduce dust and sediment generation and act as a filter to remove sediment from run-off.
- Keep a vegetation strip (buffer) along open drains, swales or waterways to trap sediment runoff from site.
How native plants can work on your site
- Provide shade
- Help stream temperatures
- Reduce weeds
- Prevent erosion
- Help reduce flooding
- Provide wind breaks
- Provide food and a place for wildlife to live and move through
- Stop mud and run-off reaching the rivers and streams
For more information read this:
Riparian zones (PDF: 962 kB)