Contaminant storage & handling
If in doubt – Stop and Shout! Take the time to plan where materials are stored. Have the right equipment and procedures in place to deal with any spills as soon as they happen.
Good storage practices include:
- Have a spill kit on site and train your staff how to use it.
- Storing liquids within secondary containment
- Storing substances away from stormwater drains and waterways
- Storing substances on an impermeable surface (e.g. concrete)
- Storing substances under cover
- Securing substances against vandalism/theft
- Storing substances away from high traffic areas
- Make sure all storage containers are labelled.
- Check regularly and before and after any rain.